As 2013 begins, let’s look forward, not back. Instead of reviewing what was popular last year, let’s look ahead and see what’s predicted to be hot.
We all have a specific style we prefer — some like traditional, some like contemporary, some like country and others like eclectic. That said, let’s see what the average homeowner likes best.
10. Kitchen: Clean and simple leads the pack, and that means contemporary style. Perhaps the preference indicates a need for a less-fussy life in the kitchen.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Ticket prices soar, then drop for World Cup
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down
- Kent family mourns loss of father, two sons in Father’s Day weekend crash
Most Read Stories
9. Countertop: Quartz composite is the top choice, and yes, it is replacing the great granite top. Quartz composite seems to be the best, no-maintenance finish.
8. Hardwood floors: This one has been coming for a while now, moving up as the floor of choice. There is a richness and beauty to a good hardwood floor that is timeless.
7. Glass backsplash: Not the same old, same old mosaic tile, but instead a glass and stone tile mosaic. The interest in this combination makes sense since it gives visual interest as well as texture. A back-painted solid glass backsplash also fits this theme, particularly in contemporary kitchens.
6. Simplicity for the sink: The double sink is out. The deep single sink is in.
5. Kitchen color: Deep gray, as in charcoal, is in. It is taking the place of — or at least competing with — stainless steel.
4. Stone finish: Calacatta marble is the choice, and it’s one that works in both contemporary and traditional settings. It is especially popular in the bathroom.
3. Texture and sparkle: Accents of gold and/or silver with glossy glass tiles and nickel fixtures burst forth this year.
2. Multigenerational living and living longer on your own: Easy-to-work-in kitchens and safer baths are becoming very popular and are the cutting edge of this trend.
1. Healthy home: Green is in. Homes that are free of toxins and are more energy-efficient have been growing more and more popular, and have become the No. 1 priority for this year.