Maximizing space while also taking design and function into account might seem to require a little smoke and mirrors.
In the living room, for example, instead of a room-dominating L-shaped sofa, a cozy settee might make more sense — especially when paired with slipper chairs and poufs — and will provide more flexibility in function and furniture layout.
Double-duty pieces, abundant lighting and a monochromatic palette are other sleights of hand that will visually expand rooms. But above all else, make sure to edit, edit, edit.
“You really have to have organization when you have a small space,” says designer Jennifer Wagner Schmidt, owner of Northern Virginia-based JWS Interiors. “I think that should be your first goal.”
- Amazon.com just tip of Seattle boom
- Michael Bennett not expected to attend as Seahawks begin voluntary workouts
- Boeing retools Renton plant for 737's big ramp-up
- Auburn woman sentenced to life for torturing family
- Average price of legal pot drops to about $12 a gram
Most Read Stories
Designers added these tips for decorating a small space:
• If you love color, Schmidt says, “add special details and pops of color with accessories to make the space you your own.”
• Both Mary Douglas Drysdale, a Washington, D.C.-based interior designer, and Schmidt recommend as much light, natural or artificial, as possible. Mirrors can bounce extra light around a room.
• Demilune tables are half tables that can tuck into small spaces, making them ideal for entryways.
• A trunk is a prime example of a multifunctional piece. Fill it with board games, seasonal throw pillows or extra blankets, and then put a tray on top for use as a coffee table.
• Don’t be afraid of making a big statement in a small room. For example, Anthropolgie’s Italian Campaign Canopy Bed adds drama, yet the thin metal lines won’t impair your line of vision.
• The most important piece for small room is “a great place to sit,” Drysdale says, such as Crate and Barrel’s Klyne Chair and Half, which offers a generous, loungey space to read, or room for two friends at a party.