Make sure your rug and floor are a perfect match with these tips:
1. When using one large rug in a living or family room, make sure there’s an even border of flooring around all four sides, or at least that borders of flooring opposite each other are even. Don’t get a rug so large that it touches the baseboard around the room.
2. If your room is formal with a natural center, use a rug with a center medallion design to accentuate the natural layout of the room.
3. Use two rugs in one room to define different areas or functions within it. They don’t have to match. In fact, it’s more interesting to see coordinating area rugs that display some of the same colors but vary the scale of the pattern and alter the design.
- Kirkland hunter defends acquaintance who killed treasured lion Cecil
- Alaska Airlines has 72-hour sale on fall travel to Hawaii
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor considering training-camp holdout, source says
- Seattle baby names: We’re trying harder to stand out
- Wing part that may be from missing Malaysian plane to be sent to France
Most Read Stories
4. As a general rule, put the front legs of furniture pieces on the rug and the back legs off. More important, however, is to make sure the rug is placed in a balanced fashion in the room; the furniture can fall either on or off it.
5. The perfect size of a dining-room rug is one 4 feet larger than the width and length of the table. As long as the rug is large enough to move the chairs away from the table without them falling off of the edge, the rug is the right size. Any surrounding furniture, such as a china cabinet or serving pieces, should be on the floor, not on the rug.
6. Area rugs muffle sound and add a restful quality to any room. For the kitchen, hallways and entry, an Oriental rug is the best bet — no other soft floor surface is as durable against the wear and tear of daily life.
7. If your room has a definite focal point such as a fireplace, it’s usually best to go with a rug with an all-over pattern so it doesn’t distract from the focal point.