Downsize Fitness is an exclusive health club, evocative of the nation's trendiest gyms. But there's a strict requirement to join: You must be 50 pounds or more overweight.
Downsize Fitness is an exclusive health club, evocative of the nation’s trendiest gyms. But there’s a strict requirement to join: You must be 50 pounds or more overweight.
The chain wants its members to feel comfortable while exercising, so there are no mirrors inside and the windows are fogged. Even the equipment is designed for heavier people.
Chicago entrepreneur Francis Wisnewski says he started the gym because “I’ve been overweight my whole life, and I was embarrassed to go to the gym myself.”
The first locations opened in Chicago and Las Vegas in 2011, and expanded to Dallas in 2012.
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Nathan Hale High School juniors boycott state test
- Neighbors at war over feeding of crows in Portage Bay
- 'Glamping' comes to Moran State Park
- Seattle tackles drug dealing, disorder in downtown core
Most Read Stories
Gym member Janie Busch said she likes the supportive atmosphere.
Krisanne Hale, a personal trainer in Dallas, is still trying to lose weight. She says that helps members relate.
Watch the video here: http://bit.ly/WnxFOz