Fit & Fun
Try some dancing — old-school. Each Friday, the Phinney Ridge Neighborhood Center is the site of an Emerald City Contra Dance, from 7:30 to 10 p.m., and a 30-minute beginner’s workshop at 7 p.m.
The dance form goes way back so you’ll get a glimpse of history along with a workout. Couples dance in long paired lines that usually run the length of the hall and follow instructions of a caller. As the music plays, partners perform steps with other couples.
It might get stuffy if warm weather holds, so wear light, comfortable clothing and drink water. You don’t have to bring a partner, though.
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
- Gun violence: Don’t fear gun laws; let gun-owners help pay to fix the problem
- Two high school football players hospitalized after serious game injuries
Most Read Stories
The Phinney Ridge Neighborhood Center is at 6532 Phinney Ave N., Seattle. Find more information on this and other contra dances at seattledance.org.
Fit & Fun is a weekly notice about active recreational opportunities in the Greater Seattle area. To suggest a future item, contact Richard Seven: firstname.lastname@example.org.