This Southern sausage dressing is baked in a casserole dish and served on the side. But if you love to stuff your turkey, try this recipe and stuff it into your bird. After all, Thanksgiving is about traditions, and we are all partial to our own.
Makes 8 servings
12-ounce package Cubed Herb Seasoned Pepperidge Farm Stuffing mix
½ loaf of favorite bread, crumbled (about 3 cups)
- TCU QB Trevone Boykin among Seahawks' undrafted free agent signings
- Seahawks get high grades for drafting of Jarran Reed, while reaction to other picks a little more varied
- Good news about coconut oil, melatonin and turmeric
- Oregon QB Vernon Adams to attend Seahawks rookie mini-camp on a tryout basis
- Bellevue High principal leaves school amid scrutiny of football program
Most Read Stories
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound bulk hot sage sausage
1 bunch celery, chopped
2 large yellow onions, chopped
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat a large casserole dish with cooking spray (or butter).
3. In a large bowl, mix together the stuffing mix and crumbled bread. Set aside, but toss occasionally to help the bread dry out.
4. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up any large chunks, until cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat to paper towels to absorb excess fat.
5. Return the skillet to the heat. Add a splash of olive oil or a small pat of butter. Add the celery and onions, then sauté until the onions start to caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Transfer the cooked sausage and the sautéed vegetables to the bowl of stuffing mix and bread. Toss well. Add the melted butter and toss to evenly mix. Drizzle in the broth, mixing until the stuffing is evenly moist and holds together, but isn’t too wet. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until browned on top.
Elizabeth Karmel, The Associated Press