1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- Band's frontman: No Super Bowl halftime show for Metallica
- WSDOT chief ousted by Senate Republicans after 3 years on job
- Driver arrested after I-90 crash that killed 2
- Seahawks’ Coleman going 60, didn’t brake before crash, police say
Most Read Stories
1 pound ground chicken or turkey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1½ tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup white wine (optional)
1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth (use 2 cups if not using the wine)
Two 15½ -ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
4½ -ounce can chopped green chilies (use less if you prefer a very mild chili)
½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
Salt and ground black pepper
Chopped fresh cilantro
Grated low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1. In a large nonstick or stick-resistant skillet over medium, heat the oil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the onion and red pepper, then cook for five minutes, or until the onion is softened. Add the chicken and cook, breaking up the any large pieces, until the chicken is no longer pink, about five minutes.
2. Add the garlic, chili powder, flour, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, for two minutes. Add the white wine, if using, and the broth in a stream, whisking. Bring the mixture to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, use a fork to mash 1 cup of the beans. Add both the whole and mashed beans and the chilies to the chili and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and cook until hot. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Ladle the chili into bowls and accompany at the table with scallions, cilantro, cheese and lime wedges.
Nutrition information per serving: 410 calories; 120 calories from fat (29 percent of total calories); 13 g fat (4.5 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 75 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrate; 9 g fiber; 3 g sugar; 29 g protein; 430 mg sodium.
Sara Moulton, The Associated Press