8 cups packed mixed greens, such as Swiss chard, dandelion greens and tender spinach
6 ounces fresh whole-milk mozzarella (in a ball)
1 medium clove garlic
- Cleared after stabbing, former UW student wants his life back
- Driver arrested after I-90 crash that killed 2
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- WSDOT chief ousted by Senate Republicans after 3 years on job
- Death of Oregon ultramarathoner rocks community of runners
Most Read Stories
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup water
4 ounces thinly sliced coppa (see headnote)
4 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Rinse the greens well, then shake off as much water as possible. Cut the leaves (only) into 1-inch pieces. Cut the mozzarella into very thin slices. Mince the garlic.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Have a 10-inch ovenproof gratin dish or casserole at hand.
3. Combine the oil, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for about 45 seconds to flavor the oil, adjusting the heat or stirring so the garlic does not brown.
4. Add the greens, in batches if needed, and the water; cook for about four minutes, stirring occasionally, so the greens wilt. Transfer them to the gratin dish or casserole, spreading them evenly to the edges.
5. Arrange the coppa atop the greens in a ring that hugs the edges of the dish or casserole, leaving an open space in the middle for the eggs. Lay the mozzarella slices on top of the coppa. Carefully crack open the eggs at the center of the pan. (Some of the eggs may overlap the coppa and cheese; that’s OK.) Season the eggs with the salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are opaque and just set; the yolks should be runny.
6. Serve right away.
Nutritional information per serving: 400 calories, 25 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 31 g fat, 11 g saturated fat, 275 mg cholesterol, 930 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber, 2 g sugar
Adapted by The Washington Post from “The Union Square Cafe Cookbook: 160 Favorite Recipes From New York’s Acclaimed Restaurant” (Ecco, 2013).