This Tomato Soup Cake can be served as part of a retro dinner party.
Makes 12 servings
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon mace
- 2 killed, half-million lose power in Seattle-area windstorm
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik
- Now comes the hard part for the Mariners: Hiring Jack Zduriencik’s replacement
- Wet weekend ahead, with high winds and heavy rain expected
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
Most Read Stories
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup seeded raisins
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 can Campbell’s Tomato Soup
Cream cheese icing (see step 2)
1. To make the cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together the flour, spices, baking soda and baking powder. Wash and cut raisins; roll in 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture. Cream shortening and add sugar gradually; add egg, mixing thoroughly. Then add flour mixture alternately with the soup. Stir until smooth. Fold in the raisins. Pour into a greased 8 1/2-inch square baking pan and bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes or until done.
2. To make cream cheese icing: Cream 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese until soft, then add 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir until smooth and then spread on cool cake.
From Ardith Linenfelser of Wyandotte, Mich., who found the recipe in a Campbell’s soup booklet