Everyday Food offers a selection of recipes using aromatic spices including this Tandoori-Style Chicken
Makes 4 servings1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), rinsed, patted dry and quartered
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 yellow onion, diced medium
1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
- Anonymous donor pays off landslide victim's $360K mortgage
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Jesse Jones is back: Seattle's superhero consumer reporter is now at KIRO 7
- This USB cable finally could be connector for long haul
- Fire destroys Bellevue auto showroom, dozens of cars
Most Read Stories
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1. Place chicken in a gallon-size zip-top food-grade bag. In a blender, blend yogurt, onion, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, coriander and oil until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Pour marinade over chicken and shake to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours (or up to 1 day).
2. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place a wire rack in a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Lift chicken from marinade, letting excess drip off. Discard the marinade. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place, skin side down, on rack. Roast until chicken is charred in spots, about 35 minutes, flipping once. Reduce heat to 450 degrees and roast until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees in the innermost thigh — not touching the bone, in the wing and in the thickest part of the breast. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
For additional recipes for Apricot-Orange Chutney; Basmatic Rice-Pilaf;
Cucumber Raita; and Green Beans With Ginger and Tomatoes,
From Everyday Food.