1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the baking dish
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
- Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, rent
- So the NRA sends a questionnaire to a Seattle state senator ...
- What's the top spelling 'mistake' in Washington state? The answer could make you sick
- 6 ways to befriend your bones and fend off osteoporosis
- Refusal in Bernie Sandersland to accept reality is really unreal
Most Read Stories
4 medium zucchini (6 to 8 ounces each)
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
½ cup homemade or canned no-salt-added white beans, rinsed and drained
2 small Roma-size tomatoes or 1 large tomato, hulled and chopped
¼ cup small pitted black olives, such as Nicoise, chopped
¼ cup chopped parsley leaves
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Use a little oil to lightly grease a 9- by 13-inch casserole dish.
2. Pour the tablespoon of oil into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
3. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a sharp melon baller or spoon to scoop out the inside flesh, leaving a ½-inch border of skin and flesh all around. Reserve the scooped-out zucchini halves, sprinkling the insides lightly with salt.
4. Coarsely chop the flesh and add it to the mixing bowl, along with half of the feta plus the beans, tomatoes, olives, parsley and pepper. Stir to combine; this will be the filling.
5. Arrange the scooped-out zucchini halves cut side up in the casserole dish. Divide the filling among them, mounding it as needed. Top with the remaining feta. Bake until the zucchini halves are fork-tender and the feta has softened and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
6. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Nutritional information per serving: 200 calories, 9 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 5 g dietary fiber, 6 g sugar
The Washington Post Food editor Joe Yonan