½ pound peeled and deveined cooked shrimp
1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
1 cup cooked English peas or thawed frozen peas
Most Read Stories
½ cup finely chopped scallions
3 cups panko breadcrumbs, divided
¼ cup light mayonnaise
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, or to taste
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
½ pound lump crabmeat, picked over for any shells
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons light sour cream
1 cup coarsely shredded red radishes
1 tablespoon bottled horseradish (do not drain)
Heat the oven to 300 F.
1. In a food processor, pulse the shrimp until very finely chopped, but not reduced to a paste.
2. Transfer the chopped shrimp to a medium bowl and add the egg and egg yolk, peas, scallions, 2/3 cup of the panko, the mayonnaise, tarragon, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Stir well, then gently fold in the crabmeat.
3. Divide the mixture into 8 portions, shaping each into a patty. Coat the patties with the remaining panko.
4. In a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Reduce the heat to medium, then add 4 of the patties and cook until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the patties to a rimmed baking sheet and place them in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining patties, using the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together the sour cream, radishes and horseradish. Season with salt and pepper.
6. To serve, arrange 2 patties per plate and top with the radish sauce.
Sara Moulton, The Associated Press