Serves 10 to 12
1 tablespoon mild olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ cup finely diced onion
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: "He just doesn't trust a lot of people''
- After ditching Amex, Costco embraces Citi, Visa
- Washington basketball great Christian Welp dies at 51
- Mumford & Sons, Foo Fighters, coming to big Walla Walla fest
- UW great Christian Welp died at vacation home near Hood Canal, friend says
Most Read Stories
12 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
8 large eggs, beaten
1½ cups low-fat milk (2 percent)
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
¼ cup flour
Freshly grated nutmeg
One 16-ounce bag frozen spinach, defrosted
6 ounces crumbled feta cheese (1½ cups)
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Have a 9-by-13-inch baking dish at hand.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion; cook for about three minutes, until it just starts to soften. Stir in the mushrooms, then season with salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring and flipping the mushrooms every couple of minutes, for eight to 10 minutes, until they begin to brown and the moisture they release has evaporated. Transfer to a large plate to cool for a few minutes.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk and ricotta; while whisking, sprinkle in the flour. Season with the nutmeg and with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Squeeze as much moisture as possible out of the defrosted spinach, then stir the spinach into the ricotta mixture, breaking up any clumps so the spinach is distributed evenly. Add the cooked mushrooms along with the feta and Parmesan cheeses, stirring until well incorporated.
5. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the torte is firm and just starting to brown around the edges. If it puffs up, don’t worry; it will deflate as it cools.
6. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information per serving (based on 12): 200 calories, 14 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 170 mg cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber, 2 g sugar