Makes 16 servings
3 cup warm water
4 whole eggs, room temperature
3 egg yolks, room temperature
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Amanda Knox murder conviction overturned by Italy high court
- Priced out? Growing numbers appear to be fleeing King County
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
Most Read Stories
½ cup vegetable or canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons instant yeast
4½ to 5 cups all-purpose flour
For the egg wash:
1 tablespoon water
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water, 4 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, oil, honey, salt, baking powder, yeast and 4½ cups of flour. Mix on low speed for six to eight minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough should be very soft and slightly sticky. If it feels too sticky, add the remaining flour 2 tablespoons at a time.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
3. Dump the dough out onto the counter and divide into 16 even pieces. Roll each piece into a 12-inch long snake.
4. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Spiral one dough snake into each muffin cup. Cover the muffin tin loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise again in a warm place for another 45 minutes, or until puffy.
5. After the dough has risen for 30 minutes, heat the oven to 375 F.
6. To prepare the egg wash, in a small bowl beat together the egg and water until frothy. Brush gently over the spirals, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Alison Ladman, The Associated Press