1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (3-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
½ teaspoon ground cumin
- The hidden homeless: families in the suburbs
- How the Seahawks got two first-round picks in the NFL draft
- Here are Seattle-area companies employees enjoy working at most
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
- Slain Burien teen was ‘all about her education,’ aunt says
Most Read Stories
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 (16-ounce) jar salsa verde
½ white onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 corn tortillas, warmed
Shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, avocado and/or radishes, for topping
Lime wedges, for serving
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add to skillet and cook until golden brown, about three minutes per side.
2. Transfer the meat to a 6-quart slow cooker, then add salsa, onion and garlic. Cover and cook on high for six hours.
3. Remove meat to cutting board and shred with two forks, discarding the excess fat. Return the meat to the slow cooker and stir in cilantro.
4. Serve the meat in tortillas and top as desired. Serve with lime wedges.
— Adapted by the Tampa Bay Times from Food Network Magazine