7 cups chopped potato bread
2/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
½ cup shredded coconut
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
½ cup butterscotch chips
12-ounce can evaporated milk
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
½ cup (1 stick) butter
½ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup light corn syrup
½ cup heavy cream
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
3 tablespoons butter, divided
3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
4 ripe but firm bananas, peeled and sliced
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
1. Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, toss bread with nuts, coconut and butterscotch chips. Spread in pan. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with evaporated and condensed milks, brown sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Pour over bread mixture in baking dish, making sure bread is completely soaked. Cover; let sit 30 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Dot bread mixture with small pieces of butter. Bake, uncovered, 45 to 55 minutes or until top is crisp and golden brown.
3. To make sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until thick, syrupy and golden in color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cream and salt. Cover to keep warm.
4. Working in batches if necessary, heat butter and brown sugar in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until melted and bubbly. Add banana slices. Cook, flipping once, two to three minutes per side, until caramelized on both sides. Remove to a plate.
5. To serve, top bread pudding with bananas and spoon butterscotch sauce over top. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
Nutritional information per serving: 534 calories (49 percent from fat), 29g fat (15.8 g saturated, 10.4 g monounsaturated), 118 mg cholesterol, 10.3 g protein, 60 g carbohydrates, 2.5 g fiber, 391 mg sodium.
Adapted by The Miami Herald from Naylet LaRochelle, Kendall, Fla.