Kären Jurgensen of the Seattle Culinary Academy at Seattle Central Community College offers this holiday recipe for Roasted Roots with Fennel and Apple.
Makes 12 side dish servings
1 pound fingerling potatoes, washed and quartered lengthwise
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
3 sprigs rosemary
Most Read Stories
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
1 small head celeriac, peeled and cut, large dice
2 parsnips, peeled and cut into matchsticks (tough core removed)
1 bunch baby carrots, peeled and cut in half
1 onion, sliced
1 bulb fennel, halved and sliced
1 Cameo or Gala apple, cored and sliced
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss fingerlings with garlic, rosemary and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Liberally season with salt and pepper.
3. Place potatoes in an ovenproof dish with enough room to spread potatoes on a single layer. Roast for 30-40 minutes until golden and fork-tender, and keep warm.
4. Toss celeriac, parsnips, baby carrots, onion, fennel and apple with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Spread vegetables in a separate large roasting pan and place in oven along with the pan of potatoes and cook vegetables, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender and beginning to caramelize, about 30 to 40 minutes. Toss potatoes into vegetable mixture, adjust seasoning, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Kären Jurgensen, Seattle Culinary Academy
at Seattle Central Community College