4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
4 chicken legs with skin
1/3 cup olive oil
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Reed brother led detectives to bodies believed to be Arlington couple
- Boeing plans hundreds of layoffs in local IT unit
- Your vote counts so little in Tuesday’s primary election, John Oliver joked about it on ‘Last Week Tonight’
Most Read Stories
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons Dijon or favorite grainy mustard
2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
Salt and pepper to taste
Asparagus and Peppers (see note below)
1. Pat the chicken thighs and legs dry. Remove any excess fat from the chicken thighs. In a glass measuring cup, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Reserve a few tablespoons of this mixture for the asparagus. Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and drizzle the olive-oil mixture over, tossing to coat. Refrigerate two to eight hours.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together all the glaze ingredients. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the chicken pieces in a roasting pan, skin-side down. Roast the chicken 25 minutes. Turn chicken skin side-up, brush pieces with some of the glaze and roast 10 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and place chicken on a platter; tent with foil.
4. Pour off as much fat as you can from the roasting pan and set the pan over two burners. Heat, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the remaining glaze and heat through. Pour sauce into a small bowl (there won’t be a lot of it) and serve with the chicken.
Note: To make the asparagus and peppers: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Rinse and trim tough ends from ½ pound asparagus. Slice 8 mini bell peppers into strips. Drizzle a sided baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and place in the preheated oven for about five minutes. Using oven mitts, carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven. Add the asparagus spears and pepper pieces to the pan; they will sizzle. Place in the oven for seven minutes or until the just barely tender. Remove from oven and drizzle with the reserved olive oil/lemon mixture or simply season with salt and pepper.
Susan M. Selasky, Detroit Free Press