This is an easy to fix roasted turkey recipe.
Makes 10 servings
1 (15-pound) turkey
2 small Granny Smith apples, quartered, seeded and cored
1 medium shallot, peeled and quartered
- Microsoft pair claim 'hostess bar' expense queries led to firing
- Slugger Nelson Cruz makes strong first impression with Mariners
- Forecasters say gas prices are set to soar
- Thursday morning musings: Mel Kiper says Seattle pick "very difficult to predict right now''
Most Read Stories
1 large sprig fresh sage leaves
3 small sprigs fresh thyme
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups apple cider
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
Giblets from turkey
1 medium shallot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 small sprig fresh sage
2 small sprigs fresh thyme
3 tablespoons flour
1. To prepare the turkey: Pull the giblets out of the turkey, refrigerate and reserve for the gravy. Place the turkey on a rack. Stuff cavities with the apples, shallot, sage and thyme sprigs. Sprinkle exterior with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated 325-degree oven until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and thickest part of the breast.
2. To prepare the basting liquid: Combine the cider and butter in a small saucepan and heat gently to melt the butter. Use the mixture to baste the turkey about every 30 minutes.
3. While the turkey is roasting, start the gravy. In a large saucepan, combine the cider, wine and broth. Add turkey giblets, shallot, sage and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes. Strain.
4. Remove the turkey from the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Tent with foil while finishing the gravy.
5. Pour off all but 1/4 cup of the turkey drippings from the roasting pan. Place over medium burners and whisk in the flour; cook 1 minute. Whisk in gravy base and simmer until lightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
6. Remove stuffing from turkey cavities and discard. Carve turkey and serve the gravy on the side.
From The Seattle Times file