¾ pound country bread, torn into 1-inch pieces (8 cups)
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- USC fires head coach Steve Sarkisian, former UW Huskies coach
- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Steve Sarkisian: ‘It breaks my heart’
- Seahawks’ Pete Carroll ‘baffled’ after late collapse vs. Bengals
- Time for Seahawks to accept that Marshawn Lynch may go from Beast Mode to Decreased Mode
- Smoking credit-card reader forces Seattle-bound flight to land in N.Y.
Most Read Stories
Freshly ground pepper
½ small red onion, chopped
¼ cup champagne or white wine vinegar
¼ cup sherry vinegar
2 romaine hearts, torn into bite-sized pieces
1 large tomato, chopped
2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
1 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 cup cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons chopped dill
2½- to 3-pound rotisserie chicken, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
¼ cup salted roasted pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. On a large baking sheet, toss the bread with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes until crisp. Let cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the onion with both vinegars and let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the romaine, tomato, cucumbers, strawberries, cilantro, dill, chicken and toasted bread, and toss well. Transfer the salad to a platter, sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds and serve.
— Adapted by Janet Keeler, Tampa Bay Times, from Evan and Sarah Rich for Food & Wine magazine