Makes 18 Sandwiches
It’s easy to make the treats with different flavor combinations. Simply add ½ cup of your favorite mix-in, such as chocolate chips or peanut butter, after the marshmallows are melted and before you stir in the cereal. The variations are limited only by your imagination.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
Most Read Stories
1 10 ounce package marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1½ quarts vanilla, chocolate or strawberry ice cream or frozen yogurt
1. Line two 9- by 13-inch baking pans with foil, leaving 2-inch foil overhangs on two sides of each pan. Cover with cooking spray. In a large pan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows; stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies. Working quickly, spray your hands with cooking spray, divide mixture in half and press into baking pans. Let cool completely.
2. Let ice cream soften slightly. Again working quickly, spoon ice cream on top of the Rice Krispies treat layer in one baking pan, spreading evenly to the edges. Remove Rice Krispies layer from the other baking pan, using foil overhangs as handles. Peel off foil and place layer on top of ice cream, gently pressing down. Place in freezer until hardened, about an hour.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it in freezer. Using foil handles, lift ice-cream treat from pan, peel off foil and place on a cutting board. Cut into 18 sandwiches and place them on baking sheet in freezer. Freeze until ice cream hardens, at least 30 minutes. For longer storage, wrap sandwiches in plastic wrap after they are firm.
— Julie Rothman, The Baltimore Sun