Serves 3 to 4, with bread for sopping up sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small chorizo, diced
Most Read Stories
1 green pepper, diced
1 large tomato, seeds removed and diced
1 bay leaf
6 ounces tomato paste
½ (750-milliliter) bottle medium-bodied white wine, such as albarino or chenin blanc
1 pound mussels
1 pound shrimp, peeled
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat a heavy pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Pour olive oil into pan, making sure the bottom is generously coated.
2. Add minced garlic, chorizo, diced pepper and tomato and simmer until slightly browned.
3. Add bay leaf, tomato paste and wine and stir over medium heat until sauce is blended well.
4. Add mussels and shrimp and cover pot. Cook on medium for eight to 10 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels and remove bay leaf.
5. Sprinkle with parsley and salt and pepper and stir until well blended.
— Adapted by Janet K. Keeler, Tampa Bay Times, from Isabel Laessig, familyfoodie.com