Trim greens and root ends ...
Makes 1 quart
- 5 medium Golden beets
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- Band's frontman: No Super Bowl halftime show for Metallica
- WSDOT chief ousted by Senate Republicans after 3 years on job
- Driver arrested after I-90 crash that killed 2
- Seahawks’ Coleman going 60, didn’t brake before crash, police say
Most Read Stories
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole allspice
- ¼ teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Trim greens and root ends from beets. Put into a large saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 to 40 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
2. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into ¼-inch thick rounds. Put into a nonreactive bowl with the bay leaf, coriander and mustard seeds, allspice, cloves and crushed pepper flakes.
3. Combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over the beets, stirring gently. Cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. The beets will keep 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Data per ¼-cup serving:
Saturated fat 0.01g
Monounsaturated fat 0.01g
Polyunsaturated fat 0.02g