Serves 4 to 6
1 flank steak, about 2 pounds
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Bellevue School District seeks to fire football coach Goncharoff over scandal
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Infections are the culprit in Alzheimer’s disease, Harvard study suggests
- 1,000 fraternity, sorority members trash Lake Shasta campsite
Most Read Stories
1 small bunch rosemary
6 garlic cloves, sliced
Extra-virgin olive oil
5 ounces arugula
Pecorino pepato, pecorino Romano or Parmesan, for shaving
1 lemon, cut in wedges
1. Lay flank steak on a baking sheet and season on both sides with salt. Put a handful of peppercorns on a cutting board and crush them by pressing firmly with the bottom of a saucepan (or use a spice mill or mortar and pestle to obtain a very coarse grind). Measure 1 tablespoon of crushed pepper and sprinkle on both sides of steak. Strip leaves from rosemary. Sprinkle meat evenly on both sides with rosemary and garlic slices. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons olive oil, then massage with your hands to distribute, pressing pepper, rosemary and garlic into surface. Leave at room temperature for an hour (or refrigerate for several hours and bring to room temperature before proceeding).
2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 450 degrees. Place a cast-iron skillet large enough to hold the steak (or a heavy roasting pan) on the upper rack. Let skillet heat for at least 30 minutes.
3. Carefully put flank steak in pan and close oven door. After five minutes, flip the steak (it should be well browned on the bottom) and cook just until juices appear on surface of steak, three to four minutes more for medium-rare meat. (Alternatively, cook steak under broiler about two inches from heat.) Remove steak and let rest on a carving board for 10 minutes.
4. Cut meat on a diagonal, against grain, into thin slices. Arrange slices on a large platter and surround with arugula. With a vegetable peeler, shave about 2 ounces of cheese over arugula. Drizzle with a little olive oil; garnish with lemon wedges.
From David Tanis, The New York Times