This is a quick-to-fix recipe for entertaining.
Makes 4 servings
2 cups stemmed arugula leaves
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- Shopping video undoes woman's case against SPD
- Deputies shoot 17-year-old after car chase in SeaTac
- Old Lusty Lady strip club to get new look as boutique hotel
Most Read Stories
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 French baguette (about 20 inches long)
1 ripe Bosc pear, halved, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/2 pound Brie cheese, rind removed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1. Rinse the arugula and basil; pat dry with paper towels. Put into a bowl. (If not using right away, refrigerate.)
2. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small jar. Close and shake to blend. Set aside in refrigerator.
3. Cut the baguette in half crosswise, then again in half lengthwise. Tear a little of the crumb out of the tops to form a shallow hollow. Toss the arugula with the dressing and divide between the bottom halves. Top with the slices of pear, followed by the Brie. Replace the tops, pressing down lightly. Cut in halves and serve.
From “Cool Kitchen: 125 Delicious, No Work Recipes for Summertime or Anytime — No Oven, No Stove, No Sweat!” by Lauren Chattman, The Seattle Times file