Makes 12 to 16 servings
2½ cups all-purpose flour, more as needed
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Turkey’s president, Putin hurl insults after plane downed
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
- 2015 Apple Cup might be the start of something big for UW Huskies, WSU Cougars
Most Read Stories
2½ sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
4 to 6 tablespoons ice water, as needed
6 pounds ripe peaches, nectarines or a mix, pitted and cut into 1½-inch chunks
1¼ cups packed light brown sugar, more to taste
1/3 cup instant tapioca
Zest of 3 lemons
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1½ teaspoons finely grated nutmeg
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1½ teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1½ sticks unsalted butter, cubed
1. Make the crust: In a food processor, briefly pulse together flour and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture forms chickpea-size pieces (six to eight 1-second pulses). Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time and pulse until mixture is just moist enough to hold together. Form dough into a large ball. Wrap with plastic and flatten into a disk. Refrigerate at least an hour.
2. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, gently roll out dough to an 11- x 15-inch rectangle, dusting with flour if dough is sticking. Fold dough in half and transfer to a 9-x 13-inch baking dish. Carefully press crust into the bottom of the pan and completely up the edges so it’s flush with the top of the pan. (You don’t need to crimp the dough.) Return crust to refrigerator while you prepare the filling and crumble topping.
3. Make the filling: In a large bowl, toss together peaches, sugar, tapioca, lemon zest and juice, nutmeg, vanilla and salt. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes. Taste and add a little more sugar if needed.
4. Meanwhile, heat oven to 425 degrees. Place a large rimmed baking sheet on the oven floor to preheat. Arrange one oven rack on the lowest position and a second rack in the center position.
5. Make the crumble: Whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Mix in butter with your fingertips until mixture is uniformly moist and comes together in large clumps.
6. Spoon filling into crust and top with crumble. Move baking sheet to the lowest rack and place pie on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Move baking sheet with pie to the center rack. Continue baking until pie is golden brown and filling is bubbling, about one hour. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Melissa Clark, The New York Times