This time of summer is like being in stone-fruit heaven, with all kinds of plums, fragrant peaches and plump cherries. I paired plums and peaches to make what is my favorite summer dessert: the Peach and Plum Crisp. It’s as easy to make as it is delicious, and this stone fruit crisp will be loved by everyone at any potluck or hangout you’re invited to this summer.
This crisp uses up the bounty of summer in beautiful sunset-hued shades of orange, pink, yellow and purple. It also doesn’t ask too much of you on these hot days. Slice up fruit until it fills your baking dish. Cover with oats, butter and other good stuff. Bake. You do have to heat up the oven, but it doesn’t bake for long and can be made ahead.
Whether you serve the crisp warm or at room temperature, you will definitely want to add some ice cream or a big splash of heavy cream.
This recipe can be made up to a week ahead. Just cover the crisp with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. To serve, reheat in a low-temperature oven. The splash of rosewater in the fruit filling is totally optional; it just adds a little something.
- Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch announces retirement in his own, unique fashion
- Black Sabbath calls it a night at the Tacoma Dome — for good
- Seahawks star Marshawn Lynch's tweet during Super Bowl appears to announce retirement
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- Police question man in bizarre Bellevue hit-and-run incident
Most Read Stories
PEACH AND PLUM CRISP
For the filling:
2 to 2 ½ pounds peaches and plums, sliced into wedges
Scant ¾ cup sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rose water (optional)
For the topping:
¾ cup rolled oats
¾ cup sliced almonds
1¼ cups flour
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter, cubed
Ice cream or heavy cream, for serving
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a 9- by 13-inch baking dish, toss fruit with sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, vanilla extract and rosewater, if using.
3. In a medium bowl, combine oats, almonds, flour, sugar and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture, breaking down some of the butter pieces and making the mixture a bit crumbly. Evenly pour topping over fruit in baking dish. Bake until fruit is bubbling, and topping is crisp and golden brown, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 or 15 minutes.
4. Serve with heavy cream or ice cream.