Makes 6 servings
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely grated Pecorino or Parmesan
1 tablespoon (or more) fresh lemon juice
- Purple Heart plant bed vandalized days before Memorial Day
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Boeing tankers will be delivered to Air Force late — and incomplete
- Bellevue School District seeks to fire football coach Goncharoff over scandal
- A six-pack of observations from Seahawks' OTAs: Justin Britt, Alex Collins, Tharold Simon and more
Most Read Stories
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
2 cups fresh fava beans (from about 2 pounds pods) or frozen fava beans, thawed
2 bunches asparagus, trimmed, stalks peeled if thick
1 cup shelled fresh peas (from about 1 pound pods) or frozen peas, thawed
½ cup vegetable oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1. Whisk olive oil, cheese and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a medium bowl to blend. Season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice, if desired. Set dressing aside.
2. If using fresh fava beans, cook in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about four minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a colander set in a bowl of ice water. Drain and peel; place in a large bowl. (Do not cook frozen beans.)
3. Return water in saucepan to a boil; add asparagus and cook until just tender, about four minutes. Using tongs, transfer to colander in ice water.
4. If using fresh peas, return water in saucepan to a boil; add peas and cook until tender, about three minutes. Drain; transfer to colander in ice water. Drain vegetables. Add to bowl with fava beans. (Do not cook frozen peas.)
5. Combine vegetable oil and shallot in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallot is golden brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer shallot to a paper towel-lined plate.
6. Add dressing to bowl with vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Transfer salad to a serving platter and top with shallot and bacon.
Adapted by The (Spokane) Spokesman-Review from Bon Appétit, April 2013