This popover recipe is from California cooking instructor Linda Capeloto Sendowski.
Passover Popover Rolls
Makes 15 to 18 rolls
Crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, these have a unique breadlike flavor. They make great dinner rolls: wonderful platforms for butter and jam. They are easy to make. The baked rolls can be stored in resealable food storage bags and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
1 cup water
- After embarrassment, Seattle finds public toilet that's just right
- NFL.com says Seahawks have most talented roster in league, and speculate on starting lineup
- Seattle's best restaurants? Classics revisited
- Couple missing 2 weeks in California drank rain, ate oranges
- Five Seahawks players to watch during OTAs
Most Read Stories
1/2 cup safflower oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups matzoh meal
4 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the water, oil, salt and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. As soon as the mixture comes to a boil, remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the matzoh meal and stir until well combined. One at a time, add the eggs and stir to combine, making sure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. The dough will be sticky but firm for forming into rolls.
2. Have a small bowl of water next to the saucepan to use for moistening your hands while forming the rolls. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Wet your hands in the bowl and use them to scoop up about 1/ 4 cup of dough; the water will keep it from adhering to you. Form the dough into an oval shape, like a quenelle (or a football). Place the portions of dough on the baking sheet as you form them, spacing them about 2 inches apart to give them room to puff up. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the rolls are a dark golden brown. Do not underbake, or they will collapse, because the only leavening is the egg, and the rolls are partially hollow.
Adapted from California cooking instructor Linda Capeloto Sendowski. Tested by Becky Krystal for The Washington Post
NUTRITION Per roll (based on 18): 120 calories, 3 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 0 g dietary fiber, 0 g sugar