A reader is looking for a recipe from the San Diego bakery Bread & Cie.
Dear SOS: San Diego’s best bakery, Bread & Cie, makes a fab bar called a paradise bar. Chewy, caramely, what I would want for my last dessert. Please get the recipe for me! — Tim, San Diego, Calif.
Dear Tim: Bread & Cie was happy to provide the recipe for its paradise bar, which combine pecans and coconut in a sweet topping that is baked over a rich shortbread-like crust. They’re sure to brighten any day, no matter where you are.
Makes 12 to 16 servings
- Anonymous donor pays off landslide victim's $360K mortgage
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Fire destroys Bellevue auto showroom, dozens of cars
- Seattle-to-suburb commuters prefer urban lifestyle
- A Midcentury modern home for the history books
Most Read Stories
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (6.4 ounces) flour
Filling and assembly
2 cups light brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup (1.4 ounces) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
2 cups pecan pieces
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make the crust. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add the flour and mix well.
3. Place the mixture in a parchment-lined 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan, pressing the mixture firmly onto the base of the pan to form a packed, even layer.
4. Bake the crust until lightly golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside until cool.
5. To make the filling. In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, vanilla and eggs well. Set aside.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine the flour mixture with the egg mixture until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in the coconut and pecan pieces.
7. Pour the filling over the cooled crust, spreading evenly with a spatula. Bake until set in a 350 degree oven, about 40 to 50 minutes. Cool before cutting and serving.
Each of 16 servings: 451 calories; 5 grams protein; 52 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 26 grams fat; 12 grams saturated fat; 76 mg. cholesterol; 38 grams sugar; 136 mg. sodium.
Adapted from Bread & Cie