The aroma of warm cinnamon and apple with oatmeal will make a nice wake-up call on a cold morning.
OVERNIGHT APPLE-CINNAMON OATMEAL
Find disposable slow-cooker liners in the wraps and bags section of supermarkets.
Prep time: 15 minutes. Cook time: 6 to 7 hours (low).
Makes 8 servings
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
Most Read Stories
4 cups water
1 ½ cups apple juice
1 cup steel-cut oats
½ cup regular barley (not quick-cooking)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. grated fresh ginger or
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
2 medium apples, coarsely chopped
Fat-free milk (optional)
1. Line a 3 ½- or 4-quart slow cooker with a disposable slow-cooker liner. In slow cooker, combine water, apple juice, oats, barley, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours. Before serving, stir in brown sugar. Top with pecans and apples. Serve with honey and milk.
Each serving 218 calories, 5 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Daily Values: 3 percent vitamin C, 2 percent calcium, 4 percent iron.
Better Homes and Gardens
For more Better Homes and Gardens ideas, see www.bhg.com.