With St. Patrick's Day just around the corner, this recipe for preparing a corned-beef dinner might be just what you are looking for.
Makes 8 servings
1 corned beef, about 5 pounds
8 medium whole new potatoes, washed well or peeled, cut in half or quartered, if desired
16 small carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Report: Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch has surgery Wednesday, could be back by late December
- Students say WWU’s response to racist threats not enough
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- WWU cancels classes Tuesday after racial threats on social media
Most Read Stories
1 large cabbage, cored and cut into small wedges
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place corned beef in a large, baking pan or covered roaster. Add water to a depth of 1/4- to 1/2 -inch. Cover with a lid or foil and place in oven and bake for about 3 to 4 hours. Halfway through the cooking time remove the pan from the oven and carefully uncover (be aware of the hot steam) and turn the corned beef over in the pan. Cover the pan and return to the oven and continue cooking. (As a precaution check the amount of liquid in the pan during cooking to be sure it does not evaporate, add more water if needed.) Cooking time will depend, in part, on the thickness of the corned beef. Check the meat for doneness at about the 3-hour mark. Bake until beef is tender when tested with a large fork.
2. When corned beef is done, transfer to an ovenproof plate, cover with aluminum foil and hold in a warm, not hot, oven. Bring a deep kettle of water to a boil. Add potatoes and simmer until half cooked, add carrots and simmer until the carrots are just tender and the potatoes are cooked through. Remove them from the water and keep warm in the oven. Add cabbage wedges to the water and cook until tender crisp.
3. Slice corned beef across the grain and serve on a platter surrounded by cabbage. Transfer the potatoes and carrots to a separate bowl. Serve horseradish on the side.
From The Seattle Times file