This Orange Pecan Tea Bread has a kick of citrus.
Cooking Light magazine’s October issue features recipes for readers’ 30 best-loved quick breads — loaves, muffins, biscuits and scones leavened with baking powder or baking soda. I was particularly taken by this Orange Pecan Tea Bread with its kick of citrus. It originally appeared in the magazine’s April 2004 issue.
Orange Pecan Tea Bread
Makes 14 servings.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
3 tablespoons 1 percent low-fat milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons orange marmalade
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 large eggs
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped pecans, toasted
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and allspice in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Make a well in center. Combine sugar, buttermilk, pecans, milk, oil, marmalade, orange zest and eggs. Pour into well in dry ingredients, stirring just until moist.
2.Spoon batter into an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 45 minutes or until loaf tests done. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan and cool completely.
3. Combine confectioners’ sugar and juice, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over bread and sprinkle with pecans.
Per serving: 171 calories (29 percent from fat), 5.6 g fat (0.9 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated) 2.4 g polyunsaturated fat, 3.2 g protein, 27.4 g carbohydrates, 0.7 g fiber, 31 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium.