Makes about 36 cookies, for 18 sandwiches
For the cookies:
¾ cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Seahawks' decision shows faith in Brandon Mebane, and the team's Superstar Strategy
- Seahawks training camp impressions, Day Four --- Pass rush speed, Mohammed Seisay, the center spot, and more
Most Read Stories
1¾ cups packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups rolled oats
½ cup dates, pitted and chopped
5 tablespoons sugar
For the filling:
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons mascarpone
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread coconut flakes on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly colored and fragrant, seven to 10 minutes. Cool. Raise oven temperature to 375 degrees.
2. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until light. Beat in brown sugar and honey, then beat until very fluffy, about five minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. With mixer set on low, beat flour mixture into butter mixture until combined. Beat in oats, dates and coconut.
4. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl, combine sugar and 3 teaspoons cinnamon. Roll heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into balls, then roll balls in cinnamon sugar; transfer to baking sheet, leaving 1½ inches of space between balls. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool in the pan for two minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Make the filling: Using the mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in mascarpone, powdered sugar and vanilla. Scrape down sides of bowl. Sandwich about 1 tablespoon filling between two cookies; repeat with remaining cookies.
Melissa Clark, The New York Times