Makes about 10 (3-inch) pancakes
The restaurant serves the pancakes dusted with powdered sugar (blueberry pancakes) and cinnamon sugar (banana pancakes) and with maple butter.
2 cups (8½ ounces) flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
- WWU cancels classes Tuesday after racial threats on social media
- Seahawks re-sign Bryce Brown in Marshawn Lynch’s absence
- Report: Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch has surgery Wednesday, could be back by late December
- Like Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks’ Thomas Rawls craves contact
- Seahawks ramblings: What got Cary Williams benched?
Most Read Stories
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
1½ cups milk
6 tablespoons (¾ stick) butter, melted, plus butter for cooking on the griddle
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1¼ cups fresh blueberries or sliced bananas
½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, melted butter and vanilla until combined. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry; the result should be slightly lumpy yet combined to form a batter.
3. In another bowl, whip the egg whites to medium peaks, being careful not to overwhip. Using a large spatula, gently fold half of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining egg whites. The batter will be slightly lumpy with bits of egg whites not fully incorporated (it will look like white caps on the ocean with foam on top).
4. Heat a griddle over medium-high heat until hot (350 to 375 degrees if using an electric griddle). Grease the hot griddle with a little butter, then drop a quarter-cup of batter onto the griddle top. Add 2 tablespoons blueberries or sliced bananas and a scant tablespoon chopped walnuts before flipping the pancake. Flip the pancake when bubbles have started to form on top and the bottom is golden brown, two to three minutes, depending on the heat. Cook the other side until golden brown and the pancake is fully cooked, an additional one to three minutes.
5. Continue until all of the batter is cooked. Serve warm.
Nutritional information for each pancake (prepared with blueberries): 272 calories; 7 grams protein; 32 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 14 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 78 mg cholesterol; 11 grams sugar; 253 mg sodium.
Adapted from Clinton Street in New York City