It's the season to break out the Irish Soda Bread recipe.
Make 1 loaf, about 12 slices
4 cups sifted flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Russell Wilson hits homer with Texas Rangers
Most Read Stories
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1/4 cup butter
2 cups seedless raisins
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon cream
1. Sift flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the caraway seeds.
2. Cut in butter with pastry blender until flour mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in raisins.
3. Combine buttermilk, egg and baking soda. Stir into flour mixture until just moistened.
4. Turn dough onto a floured cloth; knead a few minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a greased 1 1/2-quart casserole. With a sharp knife, make a 3- or 4-inch cross 1/4 inch deep in center. Brush bread with beaten egg yolk and cream before baking. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until done.
From The Seattle Times file