Makes 4 servings
½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery ribs, diced
Most Read Stories
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
8 ounces cabbage (preferably Savoy)
4 ounces green beans
12 ounces boiling potatoes (such as Yukon Gold)
12 ounces zucchini
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
Parmigiano-Reggiano rind (optional)
1 ½ cups canned, drained cannellini beans
1. Place onion, carrots, celery, olive oil and butter in a 6-quart soup pot over medium-high heat. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onion turns golden and carrots and celery just begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, finely shred cabbage. Trim ends of green beans and dice them. Peel potatoes and cut into ½ inch dice. Trim ends of the zucchini and cut into ½ inch dice.
3. Add cabbage to sauteed vegetables, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook until cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes. Add green beans, potatoes, and zucchini. Add broth, 4 cups water and cheese rind. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, 2 ½ hours.
4. Add cannellini beans and cook 20 minutes more.
Source: Adapted from “Hazan Family Favorites” by Giuliano Hazan.
Minestrone With Rice
1. Bring 3 cups soup and 3 cups water to a boil.
2. Stir in ¾ cup arborio or other Italian rice, and cook until al dente, about 15 minutes.
3. Ten minutes into cooking, add a dozen coarsely shredded fresh basil leaves.
4. Serve at room temperature, drizzling each of the four portions with 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil.