Makes 16 stuffed egg halves
8 large eggs
½ cup finely chopped tomato
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican presidential nomination
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- Man killed by car pulling out of Seattle parking garage
Most Read Stories
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced jalapeños (discarding seeds and ribs, if desired), divided
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons lime juice, divided
3 tablespoons minced white onion, divided
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 very ripe Haas avocado, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
Ground black pepper
1. Place the eggs in a small saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring the water just to a boil, then remove the saucepan from the heat, cover it, and set it aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice and water and let cool completely.
2. While the eggs are cooking, in a colander toss the tomatoes with a hefty pinch of salt and let drain for 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine the drained tomatoes with 1 teaspoon of the jalapeños, 2 teaspoons of the lime juice, 1 tablespoon of the onion and the cilantro. Toss well, then set aside.
4. Once the eggs have cooled, peel and halve them lengthwise. In a small bowl combine six of the yolks (discarding the remaining two or saving them for another use) with the avocado, mayonnaise, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Mash with a potato masher or fork until the mixture is smooth with a few lumps.
5. Stir in the remaining onion and jalapeño, add salt and pepper to taste. Mound the egg-avocado mixture into the egg whites and top each one with some of the salsa.
Nutrition information per half: 60 calories; 35 calories from fat (58 percent of total calories); 4 g fat (1 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 90 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 1 g sugar; 3 g protein; 100 mg sodium.
Sara Moulton, The Associated Press