Butter, for greasing pan
1¾ cups all-purpose flour, more for pan
Zest of 2 lemons
- 4 Mount Rainier High teens charged in alleged gang rape on field trip
- Donate to a charity? IRS sets rules for taking deductions
- How opera, QVC and his ‘Dirty Jobs’ gig prepared Mike Rowe for the Seattle stage
- Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79
- Examining if the Seahawks would be a good fit for Matt Forte
Most Read Stories
1 cup sugar
½ cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons lemon juice
3 large eggs
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, combine lemon zest and sugar and rub with your fingers until it looks like wet sand. Whisk in buttermilk, 3 tablespoons lemon juice and the eggs. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk dry ingredients into the batter, then whisk in oil and poppy seeds.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean, about one hour. Let cool in pan until warm to the touch, then turn out onto a baking rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Turn cake right side up.
4. Whisk together remaining 4 teaspoons lemon and the confectioners’ sugar. Use a pastry brush to spread glaze evenly over top and sides of cake. Cool completely before slicing.
Melissa Clark, The New York Times