Serve your Thanksgiving carrots a different way this year. Dress them up in this tart that is both savory and sweet.
Makes 8 servings
For the crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
- The latest on Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor's holdout
- Haggen sues Albertsons for $1 billion over big grocery deal
- Seattle restaurant manager killed hiking in Alaska
- Report gives Seattle drivers worst marks yet; Bellevue isn't far behind
- Seahawks trade Kevin Norwood, make other moves to get roster to 75
Most Read Stories
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut up
For the filling:
1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Salt and ground black pepper
2 egg yolks
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat 8 individual tart pans with baking spray.
2. To make the crust, in a food processor combine the flour, salt and sugar. Pulse to mix, then add the egg and water and pulse until incorporated. Add the butter and pulse just until a dough comes together.
3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Cut circles from the dough sized to fit your tart pans. Press the circles into each pan, trimming the edges as needed. Place the tart pans on a baking sheet and set in the freezer while you make the filling.
4. To prepare the filling, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the carrots and boil until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the carrots, then transfer to the food processor. Add the butter and process until smooth.
5. Allow the carrots to cool slightly, then stir in the thyme, sage and lemon zest and juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper, then mix in the egg yolks. Spoon the carrot mixture into the prepared tart shells and bake, leaving the tarts on the baking sheet for ease, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the crust is a light golden and the filling is set. Serve warm or at room temperature.
From Alison Ladman, The Associated Press