1 medium yellow onion, grated
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons butter
- Amid drought, Rattlesnake Lake reveals its roots
- Probe of 777 engine’s explosive failure pinpoints its origin
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl
- Seattle-area teen loved football, says grieving father
Most Read Stories
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon celery seed
½ cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup cider vinegar
1 cup bottled chili sauce
1 cup ketchup
2 cups water
Tabasco sauce to taste
9-10 pounds spareribs, cut into 2-rib pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lemon, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make the sauce: Sauté the grated onion and garlic in the butter until just softened. Add the next nine ingredients (through the Tabasco) and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often. Taste and adjust seasonings.
3. Arrange spareribs in shallow baking pans and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Toss lemons and onion on top. Pour about a third of the sauce over the meat.
4. Place in oven and bake about 45 minutes, basting occasionally with remaining barbecue sauce (place remaining half in a small bowl and refrigerate to heat just before serving; use the rest for basting). Turn meat several times so it cooks evenly. Serve with remaining barbecue sauce.
— Adapted by Linda Cicero, The Miami Herald, from Johna Blinn’s “Celebrity Cookbook” (Moby Books, 1981).