Serves 6 to 8
Oil for pan
1 pound ground beef
½ pound ground mild Italian sausage
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
Most Read Stories
½ cup chopped yellow onion
½ cup chopped red or green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup coarse dried bread crumbs, preferably sourdough or Italian
Optional: 2 tablespoons dry red wine
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed
½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-by-5-loaf pan. If using a silicone pan, place on a sturdy baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, combine beef, sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic, bread crumbs, optional wine, egg, Worcestershire, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, Parmesan and ½ cup each tomato sauce and mozzarella. Spoon into prepared pan and gently pack down. Bake 45 minutes. Pour off drippings.
3. Spread remaining tomato sauce on top of the loaf and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella. Bake until an internal temperature reaches 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer. The cheese should be melted and the sauce should be bubbling hot. Let stand 10 minutes, pour off drippings and remove from pan before slicing.
From “Recipes for Everyone’s Meatloaf” by Maryana Vollstedt