1½ pounds fingerling potatoes
¼ cup vegetable oil
- School board rebukes Bellevue football program; possible two-year ban for coach Butch Goncharoff
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Five veteran Seahawks whose roles could be most impacted by additions from the NFL draft
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote
- How the Seahawks got two first-round picks in the NFL draft
Most Read Stories
1 yellow onion, diced
1 poblano pepper, seeded if desired, finely chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded if desired, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground garam marsala
½ teaspoon ground coriander
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
¼ cup chopped fresh mint, more for garnish
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or basil, more for garnish
Black pepper, as needed
1. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with generously salted water. Bring to a boil; cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. When just cool enough to handle, slice into ½-inch-thick rounds.
2. While potatoes cook, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until almost tender, five to seven minutes. Stir in peppers and cook three minutes. Add ginger, garlic, cumin, garam masala and coriander; cook one minute. Stir in tomatoes and ½ teaspoon salt. Simmer over medium-low heat, breaking up tomatoes with a fork, 15 minutes. Stir in mint and cilantro or basil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
3. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place potatoes in a single layer in a 9-inch-square baking dish. Pour the hot tomato sauce over potatoes. Transfer pan to oven and bake 20 minutes.
4. Make six wells in the tomato mixture. Crack eggs into wells and season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, eight to 13 minutes, depending on how much the potatoes and sauce cooled before baking. Serve garnished with herbs.
— Adapted by Melissa Clark, The New York Times, from Floyd Cardoz