Makes three cups
15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons spice blend, such as curry powder, garam masala, chili powder, divided (optional)
- Narcotics dog hospitalized after ingesting meth
- It's no easy task, but contract extension for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson will get done
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Microsoft tells vendors to give contract workers basic benefits
Most Read Stories
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1¾ cups raw pumpkin seeds, cleaned and drained, but not patted dry
¾ cup dried cranberries, dried cherries, raisins, or a mix
¾ cup unsalted raw or roasted pistachios, peanuts, almonds or cashews
1. Heat the oven to 400 F.
2. Dry the chickpeas thoroughly by spreading them on a large plate and patting them dry with kitchen towels. Transfer to a bowl, then toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1 teaspoon of the spice blend, if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Once the chickpeas are evenly coated, transfer them to a baking sheet and spread them in a single layer. Bake on oven’s middle rack until golden and crispy, 25 to 35 minutes, shaking the tray to toss after the first 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the chickpeas to a serving bowl. Reduce the oven to 300 F.
3. Arrange the pumpkin seeds in a single layer on the sheet pan. Bake on the oven’s middle rack for 10 minutes.
4. After the pumpkin seeds have baked, in a large skillet over medium, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the pumpkins seeds and cook, stirring, for seven to 10 minutes. Add the remaining teaspoon of spice blend, if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook, stirring, until the pumpkin seeds are golden and crispy, another three to five minutes.
5. Transfer the seeds to the serving bowl. Add the cranberries and pistachios and toss well.
Nutritional information per 1/4 cup serving: 305 calories; 180 calories from fat (59 percent of total calories); 20 g fat (3 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 7 g sugar; 14 g protein; 335 mg sodium.
From Sara Moulton, The Associated Press