Serves six to eight
A ham loaf requires ground ham, and meat grinders aren’t the most popular kitchen appliance. The meat-grinder attachment to a stand mixer is a worthwhile investment, but in a pinch, a food processor will do. Just remember, a food processor will be chopping the meat instead of grinding it, so the loaf may have a coarser texture than one made with ground ham.
1¾ lbs. ground ham
1¼ lbs. ground pork
- Rolled semi spills 14 million bees on I-5 near Lynnwood
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Shawn Kemp to co-host party celebrating Thunder missing playoffs
- Rolled semi spills load of bees at I-5 and I-405 interchange
Most Read Stories
½ cup quick cooking oatmeal
½ cup plain breadcrumbs
1 small chopped onion
3 eggs, well beaten
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1½ tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 cup milk, more if needed
For the glaze:
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1. In a large bowl, combine ham, pork, oats, breadcrumbs, and onion. Using clean hands, mix until combined.
2. Add allspice, pepper, dry mustard, yellow mustard and parsley to eggs and mix well with a fork. Add egg mixture and milk to meat mixture and continue mixing with hands until well combined.
3. Mixture should be moist and very soft. If too dry, add up to ½ cup of extra milk. Form into one large loaf (or two smaller ones). One large loaf should fit perfectly into a 9-by-13-inch rectangular pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine glaze ingredients and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Mixture will be thin.
5. Pour about one-third of glaze over ham loaf. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and pour remaining glaze over loaf, basting frequently until glaze begins to get thick and sticky and ham loaf is browned and cooked through completely, about 30 minutes longer for a large loaf.
Lisa Abraham, Akron Beacon Journal