¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Jesse Jones is back: Seattle's superhero consumer reporter is now at KIRO 7
- This USB cable finally could be connector for long haul
- Nathan Hale High School juniors boycott state test
- Fire destroys Bellevue auto showroom, dozens of cars
Most Read Stories
½ teaspoon coarse salt
½ head radicchio, cored, sliced in thin ribbons
1 small bulb fennel, cored, julienne
¼ cup walnut pieces, toasted
4 slices rustic bread
2 ounces blue cheese, at room temperature
1 medium Asian pear, cored, thinly sliced
1 to 2 tablespoons jarred pepper jelly
1. Whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and ¼ teaspoon salt together in a small bowl. Spoon half the vinaigrette over the radicchio and fennel in a bowl; toss. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Toss again; add more dressing, if needed. Top with the walnut pieces.
2. Spread the blue cheese over one side of 2 slices of bread, gently mushing into the bread so cheese doesn’t fall off while cooking. Layer the pear slices on top. Spread pepper jelly over one side of the other 2 slices of bread. Sandwich the pepper jelly slices over the pear and cheese slices. Spread the tops and bottoms of the sandwiches with a little olive oil.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. When hot, add the sandwiches; cook, turning once, until golden brown and the cheese melts. Serve with the slaw alongside.
Joe Gray, Chicago Tribune