6 appetizer servings, 3 to 4 entree servings.
3 cup dry-roasted peanuts, finely chopped
1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
1½ teaspoons chili powder
- Donate to a charity? IRS sets rules for taking deductions
- 4 Mount Rainier High teens charged in alleged gang rape on field trip
- How opera, QVC and his ‘Dirty Jobs’ gig prepared Mike Rowe for the Seattle stage
- Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79
- City brushed off feasibility of NHL, NBA at KeyArena
Most Read Stories
¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
2 racks of baby back ribs, about 2¼ pounds each
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cup hoisin sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup orange juice (freshly squeezed is best)
2 tablespoons minced ginger
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1. Make the shake: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the peanuts, sesame oil and chili powder in a small bowl and mix well, then put in a saute pan over medium-low heat and toast, tossing occasionally, until light brown and very fragrant, about eight to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. When the mixture has cooled to room temperature, stir in the scallions and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, build a fire in your grill; when the coals are all covered with gray ash and the temperature is medium low (you can hold your hand 5 inches above the coals for about seven seconds), you’re ready to cook. (For a gas grill, turn all burners to high, lower cover and heat for 15 minutes, then turn burners to medium low.)
3. Sprinkle the ribs generously with salt and pepper, put them on the grill directly over the coals, and cook until a peek inside shows the meat no longer has any pink at the center, about 10 to 12 minutes per side.
4. While the ribs are grilling, prepare all the remaining ingredients but keep in separate containers.
5. Take the racks of ribs off the grill, cut them into individual ribs, and put them in a large bowl. Add the hoisin, soy, orange juice and ginger one after another and toss with spirit. Lay the ribs out on a platter, sprinkle with the spicy peanut shake and serve.
John Willoughby and Chris Schlesinger, The New York Times