Makes 4 ½ cups
Turkey giblets (heart, gizzards) and neck
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ cup chopped onion
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
¼ cup each chopped carrots and celery
5 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1. Chop turkey neck into 2-inch pieces. Cut heart lengthwise and divide gizzards into lobes. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium heat. Add giblets, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring often, until golden, about 10 minutes.
2. Add water and bring to a boil; skim foam from surface. Add bay leaf, thyme, salt and peppercorns. Reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour. Strain through a fine sieve and add water to equal 4 ½ cups. Set aside for gravy. Refrigerate if not using right away.
From “Joy of Cooking” by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker