Makes 4 ½ cups
Turkey giblets (heart, gizzards) and neck
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ cup chopped onion
- Every street can't handle every use, mayor says
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: "He just doesn't trust a lot of people''
- Confidence is key for 24-year-old lawmaker
- After ditching Amex, Costco embraces Citi, Visa
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: 'He just doesn't trust a lot of people'
Most Read Stories
¼ cup each chopped carrots and celery
5 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1. Chop turkey neck into 2-inch pieces. Cut heart lengthwise and divide gizzards into lobes. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium heat. Add giblets, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring often, until golden, about 10 minutes.
2. Add water and bring to a boil; skim foam from surface. Add bay leaf, thyme, salt and peppercorns. Reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour. Strain through a fine sieve and add water to equal 4 ½ cups. Set aside for gravy. Refrigerate if not using right away.
From “Joy of Cooking” by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker