2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 Mount Rainier High teens charged in alleged gang rape on field trip
- How opera, QVC and his ‘Dirty Jobs’ gig prepared Mike Rowe for the Seattle stage
- Donate to a charity? IRS sets rules for taking deductions
- Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79
- Examining if the Seahawks would be a good fit for Matt Forte
Most Read Stories
2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
2 ribs celery, finely diced
1 (28-ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
6 cups turkey or low-sodium chicken broth
2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained, rinsed and drained again
3 ½ to 4 cups diced cooked turkey meat
1 cup cooked rice
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups corn tortilla chips
1 cup coarsely grated pepper jack cheese
1. To prepare the soup: In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, red pepper, carrots and celery. Sauté 10 minutes.
2. Stir in undrained tomatoes, chilies and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the pinto beans, cooked turkey meat, rice, cumin, oregano, cayenne and salt. Simmer 15 minutes.
4. To prepare the nachos: Spread the tortilla chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the cheese. Place on the top rack of the oven and broil until bubbly. Garnish each serving of soup with a few nachos and serve the remaining on the side.