1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup frozen chopped or diced onion
1 pound sliced zucchini (about 2 cups)
- 1 killed, 5 injured in Snohomish Big Four Ice Caves collapse
- Starbucks prices here to rise 3.5 times as much as nationwide
- Seattle weather is an early peek at the future
- Seahawks mailbag: Russell Okung's future, Cliff Avril's role
- Subway suspends ties with spokesman Fogle after raid at home
Most Read Stories
1 stalk celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup drained, canned, no-salt-added, whole tomatoes
¼ cup uncooked Arborio rice
2 cups no-salt-added, rinsed and drained navy beans or Great Northern beans
4 cups washed, ready-to-eat spinach
½ teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, zucchini, celery and garlic. Saute two to three minutes.
2. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and rice. Break up the tomatoes with the edge of a cooking spoon.
3. Bring soup to a simmer. cover and cook 15 minutes. Add a little water if the soup becomes dry.
4. Add the beans, spinach and thyme. Cook until the beans are warm and the spinach wilted, about one minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle feta cheese.
Linda Gassenheimer, The Miami Herald